Charity cocktail party to celebrate International Women’s Day
On Monday, March 8th from 6:30- 8:30 p.m., in celebration of International Women’s Day 2010, LUPEC (Ladies United for the Protection of Endangered Cocktails), Compass Box Whisky (www.compassboxwhisky.com) and @sweetblogomine (www.sweetblogomine.com) are co-hosting Astor Center’s (www.astorcenternyc.com) fly-by-night bar featuring tippling and tweeting all night long.
Everyone (yes, men too) is invited to attend this cocktail party fundraiser, with $5 of each ticket going to Dress for Success. Guests will enjoy a tasting of boutique blender Compass Box’s whiskies and cocktails as they toast to women’s accomplishments and empowerment in New York, and around the globe, all while rubbing elbows with some of the fixtures of the NYC cocktail twitterati.
The cocktails, created especially for this evening, will be shaken and slung by Lynnette Marrero and friends, working as members of Ladies United for the Preservation of Endangered Cocktails (LUPEC). The ladies of LUPEC represent the talent behind the bar at some of New York City’s most notable cocktail spots including: Rye House (www.ryehousenyc.com), Pegu Club (www.peguclub.com), Momofuku (www.momofuku.com), Raines Law Room (www.raineslawroom.com), Hearth (www.restauranthearth.com), Bar Celona (www.barcelonaloungenyc.com), Freeman’s (www.freemansrestaurant.com), Drinks at 6 (www.drinksat6.com), and Hush Cocktails (www.hushcocktails.com).
LUPEC’s mission (when they are not busy whipping up delicious cocktails for your enjoyment)?
* To create a secular “coven-like” atmosphere in which Classy Broads of today can invoke and honor the spirits of their Forebroads
* To continue the 150 year American tradition of dangerous women calling themselves Ladies and getting together in groups, clubs, and societies to work undercover while they chipped away at the patriarchy.
* To protect the collective Joie de Vivre of LUPEC members by assuring them at least one good party a month
* To encourage the accumulation and use of vintage serving and barware.
* And most importantly, to let LUPEC ladies use our skills to support women-based charitable organizations.
Compass Box Brand Ambassador and whisky guru Robin Robinson will be on hand leading tastings of their sophisticated, expressive blended whiskies, including Asyla, Hedonism, Oak Cross, Peat Monster, Spice Tree and their infused whisky, Orangerie.
Tickets available here: www.astorcenternyc.com/class-winter-warmer-cocktail-tweetup.ac